Thursday, March 24, 2005

Enough Already!

I didn't think I'd succumb to a post about what I believe has come to be a travesty in the Terri Schiavo right-to-live/die case. I usually leave politics to those who can discuss the pros and cons better than I.


But I'm sorry. There's something not quite right with this picture. I'm not sure I get it apart from seeing it truly as a political ploy being used for something not really having much to do with Terri Schiavo at all. And the hypocrisy of it drives me batty! By now you probably know that Maureen Dowd is my favorite Op-Ed, and I guess it's because of her today that I'm willing to put my thoughts out there. She actually starts with "Oh my God, we really are in a theocracy."

"As the Bush White House desperately maneuvers in Iraq to prevent the new government from being run according to the dictates of religious fundamentalists, it desperately maneuvers here to pander to religious fundamentalists who want to dictate how the government should be run. Maybe President Bush should spend less time preaching about spreading democracy around the world and more time worrying about our deteriorating democracy."

"The president and his ideological partners don't believe in separation of powers. They just believe in their own power."

You know Maureen. She has a way of telling it like it is!

A CBS News poll yesterday found that 82 percent of the public was opposed to Congress and the president intervening in this case; 74 percent thought it was all about politics. Not that I always care about polls. But maybe we're saying there is a point at which this is not for the government to decide.

All I can say is I hope this motivates everyone to write their Living Will if they haven't done so already!

2 comments:

  1. TWICE!!

    He doesn't even get out of bed for the Tsunami disaster but he comes home early from a much needed "fence mending" trip to get involved in issues that don't belong in the White House.....what a travesty!

    -D

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...