Friday, May 20, 2005

Off to Prague!

Formerly part of Czechoslovakia and landlocked in the middle of Europe, the Czech Republic is about the size of the state of New York. It gained total independence from the Soviets in 1993, splitting from Slovakia, and joined NATO in 1999 and the European Union in 2004. It lies south of Poland, the two countries sharing their borders with Germany's east side. (How's that for a short history, Amy! Don't worry--history doesn't do anything much for me either until I'm going there or am standing in it!)

Prague is the capital of the Czech Republic and that's where we're going this weekend, using days 5 and 6 of our Europass. We'll train first to Berlin, 1-1/2 hours east from Hannover, and then will connect with another train to Prague for the remaining 5 hours. It's a long trip but during daylight hours for scenery we've not yet seen. Besides of which, we love the European trains! It'll be worth it, I'm sure, both coming and going.

We can hardly stand it. They say Prague is a must-see city. Pinch me. Of course, it doesn't hurt that this is where Martina Navratilova was born in 1956. She's the Czech-American tennis player (defecting from then communist Czechoslovakia at age 18) who won nine Wimbledon women's singles championships, more singles titles than any other player. (I was going to add that she's many a lesbian's wet-dream, but that's probably WTMI!) Hmmm. Maybe hers will be my next biography?

Another bon voyage and I-love-you tip of the glass.

2 comments:

  1. My eyes, my eyes!!! Yes, WTMI for me, but I hope you guys have a wonderful trip! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy....I told her that was WWWWTMI for a public forum.....and her response was that what she writes is for her and that we are reading what she thinks.

    I guess we have to accept it, even if it is not what we would write!

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...