Friday, October 28, 2005

He Who Hesitates

Sometimes, when I'm on a mission to find something to photograph, I think I'm looking but I'm not, even though my eyes are open. It bothers the heck outta me!

First of all, I love this vintage-looking wheelbarrow. But it wasn't until after I had nonchallantly passed it that I suddenly stopped and said, "Wait a minute! What was that??!!"

So I promptly turned around and spent the next minutes gazing at this treasure of gold. There was no "Don't Touch" sign but as is my usual MO, I didn't touch. Now* I want to go back and pick up those disks and feel them in my hand (no crime in that, right?). How heavy do they feel, I wonder, and how rough? And what in Sam's scratch are they for!

Tiergartenfest 2005. Once I got home I did my typical Google search and found something that, when translated from the German, makes sense. These tree disks were entrance "tickets/passes" at the beginning of the month for kids who brought their own stash of chestnuts and/or acorns for the winter feeding of the animals at our nearby Tiergarten (= "zoo" but it's more like a huge, forested wildlife preserve for deer and other wildlife). AND, "Beyond that there is for it a free beverage and a piece cakes during the celebration."

Alright then! (Their English is waaaay better than my German!)

[*A couple days ago I went back to see if they were still there but alas, NO. Neither wheelbarrow nor disks. For all I know, they may have been there for the taking? As they say, He who hesitates is lost!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...