Monday, November 21, 2005

Global Warming: The Comedy

Last night I watched the 2-hour special on Earth to America that had been taped from Thursday's live performance at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. In rapid succession, a parade of comedians and serious actors raised consciousness on global warming...one joke at a time.

It's not funny, of course.

Laurie David, the executive producer of the show and wife of comedian Larry David, "is making it her life's work to draw attention to the growing risks of the earth warming through unchecked emissions of carbon dioxide. She flips the finger at people driving gas guzzlers. She holds seminars and fund-raisers in her home. She sponsors a Web-based "virtual march" on Washington (http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/) that has drawn more than 150,000 participants.... "Earth to America" was her crowning achievement."

I believe in Global Warming and the fact that each one of us is responsible to stop it. If all we do is join the virtual march, at least we can do that. We clearly need to do more, if we can.

Not everyone can/should buy a hybrid car but I felt fortunate to have a Honda Insight hybrid for two years, getting 60 mpg. I loved that little two-seater car! Shortly after Nicholas was born, I switched to the Honda Civic hybrid for more passenger space and have been getting 47 mpg for 3 years now. I really feel good about that not only at the pump when I pay but because of the bigger gas-shortage issue and emissions/global warming.

Sometimes we have to joke about something, I guess, to bring more attention to it? Hopefully it'll really start sinking in where it matters.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I joined the march. Hope it's not too late for Humanity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MP. I, too, hope it's not too late. Because it's the Age of Aquarius, I'd like to think we're gonna figure out how to cooperate with each other rather than be so dang competitive/combative!

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...