Monday, December 05, 2011

Life's Serendipities


ser·en·dip·i·ty (srn-dp-t) n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties

1.The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.

Today in the Netherlands it is Sinterklaasdag, 5 December. It's the traditional day for the Dutch to do their gift-giving for the Christmas season (in spite of American influences seeping in to augment gifts on Christmas day). Think Santa Claus and presents. Today.

Two years ago today (though it was a Saturday then), I moved to the Netherlands from America to begin a new life with the Dutch woman I married two months later. It was totally coincidental that the day I arrived was Sinterklaasdag. We didn't plan it that way. But every year since then, Astrid and I will celebrate this day as our biggest and best gift to each other.

That's serendipity. And, YES, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

I have always loved serendipitous moments. They may be more rare than "normal," but maybe that's what makes them so "fortunate" and "by accident."

This past September, when we spent a few days in England....

(continued at my Vision and Verb today)


5 comments:

  1. Sometimes some of the best blessings seem to just happen by accident. I was not seeking to get married anymore when my wife to be came along. But it happily fell into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim: You meeting your wife is such a great example of serendipity. And to think I knew you before and after! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing about this post... I didn't realize it was simply a lead-in to V&V and have already been there yesterday so that I could start my day out with you! Although I thoroughly enjoy your photo journeys, I'm glad this post is short and sweet so I can get on to other things because I've MUCH to do today! Cheers... have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria: HA! So glad I fit right in to your plan for the day! I did that on purpose, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, I don't see your V&V. This has happened before and I will check tomorrow. I scanned down and say so many photos! Life is a whirlwind and I want to enjoy these "mini-vacations" of mine :) Hope all is well and I LOVE LOVE the idea of celebrated Christmas gift exchange on December 5th. Like you say, it IS the traditional way to do it. I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...